Thursday, May 1, 2008

Good Advice

A few years back I was really close to quitting my job and going to law school. I even as far as accepting admission and buying some of those books that prey on the fear of law school. Books with titles like "How to Survive and Thrive in Law School."

One of the reasons I didn't go was the opportunity to become a leader in a small company. The other was this letter from my friend Val, telling me I was crazy:

10/12/05

Why are you going to law school--are you sure you
really want to do that?  Don't you have a good thing
going that is slowly translating to more and more cash
flow?  Who knows--you might be elevated to business
partner at some point.  Aren't law schools
over-saturated?  Do you really want to be poring over
books and working at a desk from 9-8?  I don't know
what has brought all this on, but I don't know if I
can really envision you being happy doing that for the
rest of your adult life.  Do you wake up excited
everyday at the prospect of going to law school in the
fall? Maybe we should discuss this further.

No comments: