Monday, February 25, 2008

A good Sunday

It was one of those rare weekends when the two-day window of good weather fell squarely on Saturday and Sunday, so I threw on a thick sweater and went skiing on Lake Monona. The only hazard I encountered was the open water outflow of the Yahara River, which I gave a wide berth.


Ice fisherman, skiers, snowshoe folk, kite fliers, and snowman makers were all out in force. I was hoping to get a good shot of the Madison skyline, but there was still a bit of haze when I neared the downtown shoreline so the picture didn't turn out so well.


The good weather also inspired me to invite some friends over to enjoy an elicit fire and beers in my backyard before the 24 Minutes of the Abandoned Building (24MOTAB) bike race. The fire made everyone pine for spring, and the consensus seemed to be that with the Tour of California wrapping up, it was time for all the damn snow to start melting in Madtown.


After feet had been warmed by the fire and brains had been fooled by beer in to thinking it was a good idea to ride bikes on ice, it was time for 24MOTAB. This race is run once a month and consists of creating a bike pile (see photo), extricating your bike from said pile, and riding around an abandoned building for 24 minutes. The first person to cross the line after time is up, regardless of how many laps they have completed, is crowned the new champion. The course on Sunday was complicated by glare ice and a gate that had to be ducked under or over each lap, but good times were had by all.

1 comment:

DaveO said...

I really have nothing to say, I just want to see the Minneapolis dot pop up on the cluster map.